I think I've processed my son's graduation

Already, it seems my relationship with my son has changed.  I am no longer his teacher, and I am no longer parent of a child (not that child anyway).  I am the parent of an adult male.  What a different animal that is.

He's a little more forceful and assertive with me (is this what my momma meant when she said we were smelling ourselves?).  I also am a little more assertive and forceful with him in some ways... in other ways, I am giving him more leeway.  Our relationship is evolving, and it is good.


The graduation speaker was a former graduate of the same homeschool program, and has also been a teacher there for the last 6 years.  His speech was very helpful to me, and probably to my son as well.

He charged the students to:
1. Find a church and go there
2. Read their bibles every day
3. Seek elders for advice and don't listen to peers because "they are as stupid as you are".

He also charged parents with not being so fast to step back and to be hands-off.  We are still parents and will always be.  He mentioned that to this day, married and all, he makes no major decision without calling his parents.... and his parents make no major decisions without calling their parents.  Elders are here for a reason.

And all the parents and grandparents in the room said AMEN! (in my head).



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE

 MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

3 comments:

Blondee said...

I love the points of his speech. Especially number 3! lol

Congratulations to you and to your son on this HUGE milestone in life. May he use the knowledge you have bestowed upon him and infused in him with vigor and purpose.

You are so beautiful, the picture of the two of you is just priceless.

Ahermitt said...

awwww, Blondie! Thanks.

ChristineMM said...

Wonderful! Congratulations! It was years ago that I first found you on YouTube. Good job Mom.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...